1. Fire everyone else. No great website in history has been concieved by 3 or more guys with different ideas.
2. Less is more. Fewer words, no clutter.
3. Make it easy and interactive. Great websites make you interact in new and exciting ways and at the same, not have a hard time doing it
4. Don't limit yourself by the book. Who cares about theory if it works in real life?
5. Patience is a virtue. Your site might suck at first but then we never know.
6. Give the people what they are looking for.
7. Focus on one mission.
8. Improve and improve - don't stop improving
9. Professionals? Get only the best value for your money.
10. Love it!
Got any additional ideas? Feel free to post in the comments section.